Sunday, December 24, 2006

the Christmas Spirit has gone off to haunt someone else

I know it's supposed to be Christmas. But I don't feel it.

There's no snow in the Philippines but everytime Xmas is around the corner, it's so real you can almost taste it. I wonder why I don't taste anything this Christmas.

Is it because my mom didn't bother decorate? Is it because there are almost NO decorations a mile wide? There's a wreath or two here and there, but it doesn't count for much.

The carolers are more annoying than entertaining. They sing the same songs off key again and again and are always in a rush to end the songs. Even when you tell them your parents aren't home, they keep on pestering you for coins.

There are parties here and there, but when food's free, it's not too exciting to get a third serving of fruit cake.

But I'm happy to be home. I've been interacting with my family more than I usually do: talking about band stuff with Karl, about High School with Deanne, Gaming with Raushan, Local politics with my mom, college life with ate Jean. I dont feel that alienated from them like I've been feeling ever since I moved to Cebu.

This is going to be a very short and very cheesy conclusion. Isn't christmas supposed to be about the family? I don't have to feel the spirit of christmas in kikay trees and men in red suits (PVC or not). It's been a while since I felt warmth. This may be the warmth most people have on normal days, but I realized this is all the christmas I'll ever need.

1 comment:

SJP Blogger said...

I feel ya..Sounds like something I wrote in my blog. To me it seems every year that Christmas spirit is getting farther away.. It is sad.. But I have realized having a child brings all the remembrance back to me of when I was a little child.. It brings back the excitement of seeing the lights, hearing the music, and giftgiving. Hope you have a merry christmas and a happy new year!!

Feel Free to Visit my blog sjpbloggerblogspot.com
Leave Your comments