Monday, September 22, 2008

My stint as a Drag Queen

Why? Because I wanted to. I mean how many times in your life would I be asked to play dress up and play make believe and get paid (Well, only if you're good enough) for it?
I was supposed to do Amy Lee since it was a singing contest. I was told that the stress in the criteria was on performance, so the livelier, the better. Evanescence isn't exactly lively.

The choices were Madonna, Cher, Shakira, and Beyonce, all of which I could mimic. The problem with Shakira and Beyonce were that they were dancers, and it was either I do "Baby Boy" and do a doble kara with my right side dressed in baggy clothes (Sean Paul), or I do Whenever Wherever, which was kinda cheap.

So it was a toss up between Cher and Madonna. Cher would win for the lulz, but Madonna was The Pop Icon. I had my mom decide, and she found me a video of a Madonna concert on youtube.

The choreographer wanted me to do Kylie Minogue. There was a reason why she wasn't a choice, and I stuck to that.

The only consistent critique for me during practice was that I wasn't "igat" enough. Atay.

Oh well.

The people went wild as soon as I entered the room. Peopl were whispering "Madonna?"

My mind flew out the wig. Shiet. People were rioting when I lay on the ramp. Photographers were taking too many crotch shots, most of which I tried avoiding. Ack.

And the verdict? The judges preferred the Beyonce singing over my Madonnaness.

She won 10k.

But I won

A 25'' flat screen tv with matching DvD playah through the raffle!!!! I didn't even know someone put a ticket with my name on it. The dude who picked the ticket was having a hard time reading my name. He said the ticket was from CDN, and called up Ms Eileen, who was sitting beside me, to read the name. I was joking that it was me, since that was the usual predicament people ran into when they first encountered my name. Problems with pronunciation. And then she held the paper up in fron of her where I could read it in reverse. And you all know how Ara is still Ara in reverse. Lulz

If mommy hadn't come to be the stage mom, I would've kept mum about the win and sold the tv and dvd player at istorya.net discreetly. Unfortunately she was there, and my couch potato brother has just asked me to scout for PS2 paraphernalia. Grrr...

My gayness was featured on the front page of today's CDN issue. I'm just glad people don't recognize me ^__^

No comments: